Thursday, September 03, 2009

Jan, please get a life


Every year this sign returns to the fairgrounds to taunt me. Last year I managed to scrape off the errant apostrophe in "loose item's." This year, I went after "seat belt's." I can't be completely satisfied with my guerrilla editing efforts because I can't tighten the tracking on the remaining letters, but nevertheless I like to think I'm making the carnival world a slightly more delightful place.


I can't decide what to attack next year. The random comma after "Or,"? The one in "stop, before exiting"? I could tackle the comma splice in number 4 (though that would involve drawing in the top of a semi-colon, which is a bit daunting) or delete the comma and add two periods to number 2. A Sharpie would work, but that would quite honestly feel a bit TOO wicked for my law-abiding self. Maybe some concealed vinyl stickers in my purse?

(Right now you are either rolling your eyes about my freaky punctuation obsession or scouring my post for the deliciously ironic joy of finding an even more egregious example of bad grammar and punctuation. And if/when you find one, I'd like to think that you'll believe I put it in here on purpose.)

No comments: